Hello Followers!
What a GREAT success last night was during our information session for perspective students. From the discussion last night, I decided to create a post answering frequently asked questions about the accelerated program. Hope this is helpful :)
And as always, please feel free to contact me at ktava775@regiscollege.edu for further questions/comments!
1. Can you please speak about the time commitment, difficulty, etc?
The program is quite time demanding, and I do not recommend working during the first two or three semesters! However, for those individuals who do need to work it is recommended no more than 15hrs a week. Usually my weekends completely revolve around studying, catching up with readings that cannot be done during the week etc. As far as the difficulty goes, I would say some material is harder than others but you gradually learn how to time manage!
2. Typical class/clinical schedule each week?
In your first semester (for DAY students) your schedule might look something like: Mondays from 8am-6pm, Tuesdays 7-10am, Wednesdays 8-2pm, and Thursday or Friday clinicals (depending on your placed day) 7-3pm.
3. Clinical placement type- are you set up by the school or responsible for finding sites yourself?
Regis will find the clinicals for you during your first two years! It is during your third year when you are completing the master's portion of the program that you have the opportunity to find your own preceptors. This is advantageous, because you can choose where and what type of specialty you want to focus on.
4. How many clinical sites do you work in throughout the entire program?
It changes from semester to semester -- I would say during the RN portion of the program about ~10 sites. During the NP portion of the program you have to locate your own preceptorship sites and complete over 100 hours worth of training. The sites vary depending on which specialty you are interested in.
5. Any tips about taking out student loans?
I filed my FAFSA online at fafsa.gov, and through the government I received some subsidized and unsubsidized amounts. I also took out a grad plus loan through Regis College to help cover the rest (for my rent, food, gas, books, other necessities) so that I would not have to work during the program. Also, Regis offers graduate assistantships to help out :)
6. Is there a thesis or research requirement?
There are several lengthy papers that you have to write throughout the program.
7. What sort of clinical placements have you had?
I have been placed at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, the VA in West Roxbury, Norwood Hospital, Newton Wellesley Hospital, Children's Hospital Boston, Lahey Clinic, Wayland Elementary School, Rosie's Place and Partners in Waltham.
8. Do you feel prepared as a nurse?
I do feel confident enough to care for patients on the hospital units with the guidance of my instructor! Time in the Sim labs at school help you prepare for what nursing will be like on the actual floors. It takes practice, practice, practice...
9. Any idea what job you hope to secure after graduating?
I am totally open to any job at this moment. I believe I will have a better idea once I finish the RN portion of the program, and have had the opportunity to experience all the different clinical placements. Another great part about Regis is that you do NOT have to declare your specialty until you enter the NP portion.
10. From your perspective and experience, is there a demand for NPs in the field right now and does it seem possible to get a job right after graduation?
YES! The percentage of students who find jobs after graduating as an NP from Regis is 100% three months out of school. (WOO!) If you form a good relationship with your preceptorship site they may even want to hire you. If not, no worries there are plenty of job opportunities available for nurses and NPs at this time.

No comments:
Post a Comment