Friday, January 25, 2013

National Council Licensure Examination... NCLEX TIME!

Hello followers!
I'm back from winter break and ready to tackle another semester. This time around it feels just a bit intimidating though. In just a few shorts weeks I will be sitting to take the NCLEX.. AHH! I cannot believe how fast the time has flown by. I have been studying on a daily basis, answering questions upon questions to prepare for this exam. The NCLEX is one of those exams that measures just how well you can critically think.... this means your memorization skills will be of little use when trying to tackle this well-known exam. Therefore I've decided to put a little list together of ways you can prepare for the NCLEX when it's your turn:

1. Take a review course to help prepare for the NCLEX. At Regis, they offer students the opportunity to take the "Anderson NCLEX-RN Review Course" over winter break for 5 days. This course is helpful in understanding A TON of information in a succinct and thorough manner. Review courses are also offered online if you cannot make the one at Regis :)

2. Glance over your notes that you took during each of your courses, but DON'T memorize! The key here is to get the big picture of each of the topics lectured.

3. Google how the NCLEX exam is set up. The NCLEX-RN is made up of 265 questions, and you need to get at least 75 correct in order to pass. The questions are multiple choice, and you have five hours to complete the test.

4. The NCLEX-RN exam includes materials from: safety, infection control, care managemenet, health maintenance, psychological integrity, comfort methods, pharmacology, risk potential and physiological adaptations.

5. Get yourself an NCLEX review book to study from on your own. These books are GREAT! I am currently using Saunders Comprehensive Review and Kaplan Review. These books often come with a CDrom and practice tests to measure your strengths and weaknesses.

6. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE tons of questions. This helps you adjust to alternative question types, work on critical thinking skills and ease your nerves when it comes to taking the actual exam at the testing center.

WELP, that's what I have to say for now. I'll keep you posted on whether I passed or not, but until then back to the books I go....

And as always, please feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns about the Accelerated Nursing Program at ktava775@regiscollege.edu

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment