Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Summer Session I

Hello Followers! I did it again -- took a mini hiatus from the blogging world. I promise it's not my fault! (lol) I have been bombarded with school work this summer session and definitely need to catch you up on this current semester. I have been taking Advanced Health Assessment, Health Policy & Family Systems Theory which all require a lot of work in a short 6-week period. I have been traveling around the state of MA to get field hours completed for Health Policy, writing a 15 page paper on the insecure-resistant anorectic female, learning how to assess my partner-in-crime Dana to prepare for my preceptorships in the fall, and ONE last thing -- trying to contract with several preceptors back home in RI. WHEW deep breaths. It all feels rather overwhelming at the moment, but it's not long until finals week. I cannot believe that I am less than a year away from becoming a Family NP! It feels surreal knowing that come fall I will be taking on patients with a preceptor and learning the role of the advanced practice nurse. This semester has definitely taught me how to time manage and juggle a thousand tasks at once. Also, a huge congrats to my sister who got married over the weekend! It was a beautiful day and it was so nice to have some time to celebrate and not focus on school! GOT TO LOVE those rare occasions :)

I have also decided that taking on an RN job is not going to work with my schedule for the next year, because of the amount of travel I will have between MA & RI. Many students email me asking if my classmates have taken on RN positions during the NP part of the program. My answer: YES, some do! However, many don't! I have found that my classmates who do have RN jobs have worked with their employer to have a flexible schedule that accommodates both work & school. If you can find an employer that will be able to have you on per diem, part time etc. then GO FOR IT! I want to remind you though that you have 600 hours of precepting to complete before you can graduate along with classes.... so don't burn yourself out!

So there you have it -- my life & thoughts in a jiffy! Please feel free to email at ktava775@regiscollege.edu with any questions/concerns.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment